Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend Writer: Butt in Chair -- Brain Missing

Has anyone missed me? Since very few people leave comments on my blog, I'm never sure it would be noticed if I'm gone. That has been put to the test. Last weekend, this weekend writer turned into a hibernating bear. I slept until coughing woke me, then went foraging for drugs, followed by more sleep. Which means there was no post on my writing weekend, because that would have required me to write.

I must have looked as bad as I sounded. As I hacked and coughed my way through a workweek that could not be missed, Sarah took over the blog and did an excellent guest post on villains from the Darkover series. If you haven't read that post, please do. Her insight into these bad boys is first rate.

Now that it seems I am not going to die from this miserable illness, I got my butt back in the desk chair and went back to work. Today, for the first time in a week, I have been working on my novel. Well, I've been attempting to work on my novel. Once the cough syrup, antihistamines, decongestants, steroids, and headache medicines wear off, we will see if anything I've written stands up to edits.

It really doesn't matter if what I have been writing is garbage or not. What matters is the effort to get back to writing. Contrary to popular belief, books do not spring magically onto the shelf. Every single one of them had to be written. There are times when the writing flows easily. Most of the time, the words are plucked from overworked brains, squeezed in between other jobs, and, more often than not, have to go through several revisions before they are fit to be read by an editor.

So here I am, folks, banging away at the keyboard in a drug induced state while hoping that the words on the page make sense when the drugs are no longer needed. I know that somewhere in my foggy head there is a brain. If only I can find it and make it crank out another page or two... Wish me luck.

No comments: