Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oh No! I'm Dead and Google Alert had to Tell Me

Like a lot of writers, I use Google Alert to tell me important information, like the fact that someone commented on my book or mentioned me in a blog.

Hey! A girl's got to keep up with these things. Who knows when some important Hollywood producer might discover my book, and put out an all points bulletin to his peeps in search of little old me?

It could happen. So what if most of the hits on my name have to do with the Knights of the Golden Circle, or some group of treasure hunters discovering my book? Just because I include real historical information in my novels doesn't mean that Hollywood wouldn't consider doing a movie about Nessa/Ness.

Anyway, I'm drifting off topic. Lets get back to when I opened my email this morning and discovered that I had passed away. Having seen my obituary once before, I was not entirely shocked to again be reading about Gwen Mayo's demise. I was a little surprised to learn that this time I was in New Zealand when the grim reaper arrived.

I clicked on the link provided and leaned in close to read the details. A few seconds later, I breathed a sigh of relief... it wasn't really me.

Thank goodness I don't have a bad heart. With news like that, tomorrow might actually have been a report of my demise. Can't you see the headline?

FAMOUS MYSTERY AUTHOR DIES ABOUT READING OF HER DEATH

That might be a slight exaggeration, but I can dream, can't I?

Anyway. I am sorry the world has lost a Gwen Mayo. With a name like that, she must have been a wonderful woman, but I am thankful that I am still here to get that Google Alert.

Watch out though. You never know what will pop up on Google.

No comments: